Ask The Doctor > Pending > Do I need an xray for the lump on the top of my foot?

Do I need an xray for the lump on the top of my foot?

Patient: Hi there,At the beginning of the month I went on a hen weekend and on the Monday my right foot along the out side on top, was really bruised. No shock as I bruise really easily. My foot was also swollen, but thought I had just knocked it. I don’t remember knocking it or hurting it but I had had a bit to drink so could have done without realizing. The bruise was there for quite a few days but the swelling went down. That was the 4th Nov and for the past week I have noticed that where the bruise was is now a hard lump (bone like) and can be a bit tender. It doesn’t hurt when I walk or even go up and down steps, but it occasionally twinges, not in a really painful way but feels like a pulling sensation. The lump seems to get slightly bigger and smaller, but is always hard. My mum thought I should go and have an xray, but feel a bit funny to go to the hospital as i’m not in actual pain. Would you know what is wrong or can you offer any advice? Thanks Jess

Doctor: