Do I need further treatment for strep? Pain is debilitating and won’t go away

Patient: I have a really excruciatingly painful sore throat with white spots on my tonsils, and a very mildly itchy red rash head to toe. I can’t see the back of my throat because my tonsils are so swollen, and i have trouble breathing. I know I need to drink a lot of fluids, but swallowing hurts so much I have trouble drinking at all. I went to the Dr on Sunday because I thought it might be strep, but I haven’t heard back about the culture yet. The Dr. gave me a shot anyway, but it’s only gotten worse. Do I just need to give it time, or should I go back to the Dr? Ibuprofen helps barely, not noticeably, and I can’t sleep.

Doctor: You seem to have a severe throat infection which may or may not be caused by the streptococcus bacteria. In any event, i t seems you will need a course of antibiotics and not just a single dose. Ifyou are having difficulty breathing then you may even need to be hospitalized for a few days to see how the infection responds to the antibiotics. I urge you not to hesitate but to return to your doctor immediately or go to the nearest hospital for further treatment.