Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Do I need to increase the dosage of prescription iron pills?

Do I need to increase the dosage of prescription iron pills?

Patient: I am on the ferrous sulfate 300mg and the meds started to wrok in terms of i wasn’t feeling dizzy and the headches had slown down…but after two months i am now feeling the side effects again and the dizziness are constant along with the headaches…do i need to take the pills twice a day instead of once a day?

Doctor: I would not advise increasing the dose or iron with prior assessment of your hemoglobin status. It may require several w eeks or even months to treat anemia due to iron deficiency. Initially dosage of ferrous sulphate is 300 mg per day which can be increased upto 4 times a day depending on the severity of the anemia.