Do I need to increase the dosage of prescription iron pills?

Patient

Q: I am on the ferrous sulfate 300mg and the meds started to wrok in terms of i wasn't feeling dizzy and the headches had slown down...but after two months i am now feeling the side effects again and the dizziness are constant along with the headaches...do i need to take the pills twice a day instead of once a day?

Doctor

A:   I would not advise increasing the dose or iron with prior assessment of your hemoglobin status. It may require several weeks or even months to treat anemia due to iron deficiency. Initially dosage of ferrous sulphate is 300 mg per day which can be increased upto 4 times a day depending on the severity of the anemia.