x
185 Physicians Online

Question:

Do I need to stop taking birth control before gettting an FSH LH blood test?

I was prescribed birth control, and I've taken two pills. Do I need to stop before getting the FSH LH blood test? My gynecologist is checking for PCOS. She didn't say anything about not starting the pill until after the test, but I was doing a little research and it seems like I need to stop taking them so the FSH and LH levels will be my own and not altered because of the pill. I'm taking Lo Loestrin Fe.

Answer:

OCP's contain estrogen and progesterone and thus can essentially affect the level of FSH and LH in the body through something called a feedback mechanism. Thus it is advisable that you stop taking your OCP's some days prior to taking the blood test. All the best.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA