Do I still need crutches 2 days after ankle sprain?

Patient: I went over on my ankle 2 days ago whilst playing football. As soon as I did it I heard a pop and felt a twinge down my lower leg, and was in agony. The initial pain was the worse I’ve ever experienced.I went to A & E, it was x-rayed and showed no broken bones. I was told it was an ankle sprain and given crutches and have been using them however I am in no pain when I walk (with a limp) without any support from the crutches as with a usual ankle sprain. Do I still need to use them? I still get occasional shooting pain further up my leg whilst it’s resting and it’s still quite swollen but no bruising. It feels a bit tight on the outside of my injured leg too.Also, do you think I’ll be able to play football next week if it has recovered this quickly?

Symptoms: Swollen ankle but no pain whilst walking

Doctor: HelloThanks for your query.I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You got an ankle sprain. As it is quite swollen so it is advisable to use crutches. It is unlikely and not advisable to play football after one week. It is not advisable to bearing full weight on it till 3 weeks. Hope your query get answered.Wishing you a good health. Take care.