Do IUDs affect pregnancy test results?

Patient: I have a copper iud in place ,I wanted to know if this device will interfere with a blood test to find out if I’m pregnant , I have used a lot of the over the counter pregnancy tests but they all say negative , I’ve read a lot of reviews about how woman have an iud in place that a regular over the counter test doesn’t show the correct answer .?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. In general IUDs will not have an affect on a pregnancy test. Pregnancy tests detect a pregn ancy specific hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). This hormone is produced after an egg is fertilized by sperm and it is implanted into the uterus. It is important to note that home pregnancy tests are not as accurate as pregnancy tests performed at your doctors office, and we encourage you to see your doctor if you are concerned about being pregnant.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com