Do nitrates alone in Urine mean infection

Patient : I am a 29 yr old female who as a chld had hx of bladder or utis. For the past 4 days Ive had some similar sysmptoms of a uti, lower back pain,chills, the constant sensation to urinate, pain and pressure. However, my 1st trip to the doctors found only negative results in my urine (day 3 of pain). Yesterday the pain and sickness was so bad I went back to the MD, thining maybe I had a kindey stone, but the CT results were negative. My urine was again tested and this time blood drawn, which my white cell count is slightly elevated and my urine this time was positive for nitrates. The provider did not seem too impressed that it was an infection, but gave me antibiotics and had me follow up with the OB. This a.m. I went to the O.B and again there were nitrates in the urine to which they seemed to think yes it is a infection. Do you think this is a good sign of infection? should bacteria or white blood cells show true signs of a infection or could it be interstitial cystitis?
Doctor :   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: I'm a 32 year old male. I've been experiencing mild urinary retention for the past two weeks that came on suddenly. ...

Q: I was really sick with a stomach bug last week, it really effected my bowels to put it nicely. So much so my butt hol...

Q: I have chronic bladder infection for 6 months. I prescribed pyridium I told one yesterday but I have been having real...

Q: Son 32 has prostititus. Can marijuana use cause bladder infection or prostititus infection

Q: Should I be concerned with a liver panel of an AST 23 and ALT 13. This would give me a 1.8 > AST /ALT which seems to ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon