Do nitrates alone in Urine mean infection

Q: I am a 29 yr old female who as a chld had hx of bladder or utis. For the past 4 days Ive had some similar sysmptoms of a uti, lower back pain,chills, the constant sensation to urinate, pain and pressure. However, my 1st trip to the doctors found only negative results in my urine (day 3 of pain). Yesterday the pain and sickness was so bad I went back to the MD, thining maybe I had a kindey stone, but the CT results were negative.
My urine was again tested and this time blood drawn, which my white cell count is slightly elevated and my urine this time was positive for nitrates.
The provider did not seem too impressed that it was an infection, but gave me antibiotics and had me follow up with the OB. This a.m. I went to the O.B and again there were nitrates in the urine to which they seemed to think yes it is a infection.
Do you think this is a good sign of infection? should bacteria or white blood cells show true signs of a infection or could it be interstitial cystitis?