Do Uterus Fibroids only occur in women who are sexually active?

Patient

Q: Hi,
I wanted to know if it is possible for a woman to have uterus fibroids even if she is not physically/ sexually active? or in simple words does uterus fibroids occur in women only after they become sexually active?

Doctor

A:   Thanks for consulting us. Fibroids or Leiomyomas are benign neoplasms that arise from smooth muscle of uterus. They are common in reproductive age of women. It does not have relation with sexual act; that is, it is seen in whether sexually active or not. They can cause vide range of symptoms like pain, menstrual abnormalities, Infertility etc. Hope your question is answered. Have a great day.