Do we give Humalog or not?

Patient

Q: My mother is taking Humalog by insulin pen and is supposed to take 30 units before each meal, when her blood sugar is low like 70 units should we skip that dose. She also takes Lantis 80 u every night. The diabetes doctor has not returned my call.

Symptoms:  Low blood sugar
Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.
I suppose, she required modification of the dose.
I would advise in such situation to take Only Humlog insulin (30:70) twice a day.
The dose would be decided on the basis of her Blood sugar levels.
Her dose is getting very high and this is the reason behind her recurrent hypoglycemia.
i would advise you to get her Kidney function tests and HbA1c done.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.