Do you have to wait 7 days on the pill

Patient

Q: Do you have to wait 7 days on the pill each month after your period to be protected?

Doctor

It is true that you have to be on the pill for at least 7 days during your cycle from the start of the pill before the contraceptive benefits of the pill can be availed. Ideally the pill should be started from day 2 of the start of menses so that initial safe period for 10 days is well covered for those 7 days of pill intake and chances of pregnancy are negated completely and during ovulation time, ovulation is prevented completely thereby offering contraceptive benefit to the user.

Hope this helps.