Doctor said we should add Sodium Citrate to my baby's formula

Patient : We have a 9 month old baby - he was born 10 weeks early at 28 weeks - so a very little preemie who weighed 1.1kg. He overcame all of this and is now a healthy little boy. He went off his food for a little while and so we went to see a different pediatrician. When there he said we need to be adding Sodium Citrate to his formula - we did this and he really doesn't enjoy it. I tried it yesterday and it tastes of seawater. I believe the baby hates it as well. I just wanted to get some advice on whether this is safe and sensible? Any information would be greatly received.