Does a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel diagnose diabetes? I ra

Patient

Q: Does a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel diagnose diabetes? I ran 3 tests (one in February, March, and April) all were normal. Can one get diabetes after 3 months of normal blood sugar.

Symptoms:  Numbness/tingling in hands and feet (I can still feel pain and sensation when I punched myself), feeling tired but have energy, hungry but I get full after eating a meal but hours later I am hungry again, frequent urination but not every hour, and thirsty. But now I don't want to eat or drink much because I am afraid my blood sugar will get too high.
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Welcome to Ask the Doctor. Thanks for your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and understood your concerns.
Please find my observations below:

> Yes, a comprehensive metabolic panel can diagnose Diabetes. And there is every possibility that an individual can get Diabetes though his/her blood sugar levels were normal previously.

> According to your history, I feel that the symptoms which you are experiencing may be due to the either low levels of Vitamin-B 12 or Vitamin- D 3.

> I sincerely request you to get the following tests done in order to come to an appropriate diagnosis:
- Complete blood work.
- Vitamin B-12 levels.
- Vitamin D-3 levels.-
- Fasting and Postprandial blood glucose levels.

> After the reports arrive you can write back to us for further discussion or you can see your PCP so that further management can be planned accordingly.

> As of now, try to have a balanced diet especially include meat and dairy products in your meal.

> Do physical exercise daily like brisk walking, jogging, swimming, cycling for at least 20-30 minutes a day.

> Have plenty of oral fluids, have adequate sleep of 6-7 hours per day and avoid stress and tension.

Hope I have answered your question in detail.

Wish you good health.
Take care.

Patient: Ok thanks. did complete blood work and Vitamin B12 all normal. Haven't done vitamin D tests yet nor fasting glucose. No family history, not overweight, and all organs in my bodies are functioning normally.
Doctor: Hi.
Thanks for writing back.

If you already did complete blood work up and Vitamin B 12 and if its normal then that's fine.
You can go for Vitamin D3 levels.
The reason why I asked you to do Fasting blood glucose and postprandial blood glucose is to confirm whether you are prone to Diabetes or not?

Best wishes.
Patient: All the doctors I have seen that ran tests on me did not mention to me about diabetes. I'm pretty sure is anxiety related.
Doctor: Hi again.

You may be right that it may be because of anxiety but I have answered you what you have asked us.
1) Does a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel diagnose diabetes?-- Yes.
2) Can one get diabetes after 3 months of normal blood sugar? - The answer to this question depends on the blood tests namely Fasting and Postprandial blood glucose test. If in tests, the values are increased then yes there is every possibility of getting diabetes.

I have shared with you my opinion regarding your query. It's upto you now to take decision

I have already answered your 2 follow up questions by now.
If you have further queries then please post a fresh question.

Good luck.
Regards.