x
188 Physicians Online

Question:

Does a Ganglion Cyst need Removal?

I have a ganglion cyst on my wrist that started showing up around 2 and a half weeks ago, if I leave it alone without getting aspiration, will it leave on its own or will it just stay there?

Answer:

Ganglion cysts are commonly seen at the back of the hand and wrist and may be caused due the irritation and repetitive movements of the tendons. The diagnosis of these cysts are by physical examination with x-ray of the joints to rule out any problem of the joint. These cysts often change in size and may disappear completely without treatment. Treatment is mainly by observation and surgery is only required if the cysts interfere with the movement or become painful and limit activity. An aspiration can be performed to remove the fluid from the cyst and decompress it. I hope the information helps, take care.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA