Does being sick with the flu affect blood sugar

Patient: I have type 2 diabetes.I just tested positive for the influenza a virus today. I admittedly ate poorly tonight for my daughters birthday (lasagna, garlic bread, and cake) and my sugar was 480! It has never gotten that high! I am on metformin, and glipizide. The combination of the two pills and lower carb eating keeps my sugar down. Do you think it was just the bad meal that made my sugar so high, or because I’m also sick? Does a one time reading this high do any damage? Do I need to eat even less carbs than usual while sick to prevent these spikes? Thanks!

Symptoms: High blood sugar reading

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.Any infection can increase the blood sugars and this can be dangerous if not taken off.But this rise only occurs in diabetics. Since you are a diabetic and already on medications you are facing this Acute rise due to high blood sugar.Such high blood sugar in the presence of an infection can precipitate diabetic ketoacidosis.I would advise admission in this case to get blood sugar and Pneumonia under control.Drink plenty of water to maintain hydration.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.