Does Birth Control Give you False Periods if you are Pregnant?

Patient: Okay so i had sex about 4 months ago. I was off of my birth control for a few days before this happend. I thought i was pregnant for a while til i had my period. well i thought i had my period.. I never took a home pregnancy test. its hard for me. i kept takin my birth control.. so i read somewhere that birth control can make u have a false period for a while. is this true? could i be pregnant? i am having so many symptoms and i really want to know. does birth control give u false periods if you are pregnant??

Doctor: Hello, I understand your doubt about Contraceptives and pregnancy. Once you are pregnant your periods stop even if you t ake oral contraceptives. The use of oral contraceptives during pregnancy is not recommended and should be stopped; they won’t cause a false period and also they won’t harm the baby.  Oral contraceptives are highly effective when used properly; please comply with them to avoid unwanted pregnancies.  I hope I cleared your doubt.