Does chewing a vitamin negate the benefits of the vitamin?

Patient

Q: If you chew a vitamin does it negate the effects of it? I was curious because I am trying to live a vegan lifestyle and I need supplements to get certain vitamins and nutrients.

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

Some Vitamins are chewables and should be eaten by chewing. Having a vegan lifestyle does not mean that you will not be able to get vitamins from the body.

You can get most vitamins from fruits. Hence, try to keep a constant stream of fruits in your diet. Vitamin B12 is difficult to obtain from a vegan diet. For Vitamin B12, you can take B12 supplements which will help you fight the deficiency.