Does child's behavior issues coorelate with dad's Rx drug addiction?

Q: When my 17 month old was conceived, unbeknownst to me, my husband was abusing prescription drugs such as Oxycontin/oxycodon, percocet, etc. He does not any longer. I was just wondering if that could have anything to do with my son's behavior issues now. He can be very aggressive, and doesn't talk or communicate very much at all. Just wondering if one could have anything to do with the other. Thank you.

A:   I comprehend your worry about your son’s behavior but let me reassure you that the medicines that your husband took during conception have nothing to do with it.
The aggressive behavior that your son is experiencing could be normal for his age; most toddlers are physically aggressive towards other children and adults usually due to problems of communication. The onset of aggression is in toddlerhood, not in primary school. Toddlers will tantrum if they don’t get what they want, usually because it may be their only means of expressing their feeling.
Surely, as he continues to grow this aggressiveness will also start to diminish, nevertheless an evaluation done by his Pediatrician could rule out problems with physical and mental development to make sure that he is on the right path. I wish you the best.