Does hepatitis C spread through urine exposure?

Q: Dear Doctor, i live my uncle. he has hepatitis c, he barely flushes the toilet after he is done. at night when i used to the bathroom i urinate on top of his urine, could this transfer the hepatitus to me? i have been flushing the toilet recently because i have had some really bad pain in my lower back. thank you.

A:   Hepatitis C basically can be transmitted through blood transfusions, sharing razors, needles, tatooing, through sexual contact, and through needle stick injuries and bodily fluids and does not spread through urine. Your symptoms are not due to Hepatitis C and may be as a result of a urinary tract infection or premenstrual syndrome. I would suggest that you see your doctor if your symptoms worsen.