Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Does hepatitis C spread through urine exposure?

Does hepatitis C spread through urine exposure?

Patient: Dear Doctor, i live my uncle. he has hepatitis c, he barely flushes the toilet after he is done. at night when i used to the bathroom i urinate on top of his urine, could this transfer the hepatitus to me? i have been flushing the toilet recently because i have had some really bad pain in my lower back. thank you.

Doctor: Hepatitis C basically can be transmitted through blood transfusions, sharing razors, needles, tatooing, through sexual c ontact, and through needle stick injuries and bodily fluids and does not spread through urine. Your symptoms are not due to Hepatitis C and may be as a result of a urinary tract infection or premenstrual syndrome. I would suggest that you see your doctor if your symptoms worsen.