Does ibuprofen prolong symptoms, and is it work it to get a note?

Patient : I believe I have the flu. Soar throat, fever, aches, etc. I've been regularly taking ibuprofen to keep my symptoms down. My college professor as implied that for me to miss a class I need a doctor's note. It seems silly to me, to take time to go to a doctor just to get a note, so I can prove to her I am ill. Do people visit you just for excuse notes? Also, is it possible I am prolonging my illness by treating the symptoms, rather than letting the fever possibly kill off whatever is causing it?