x
158 Physicians Online

Question:

Does itching and swelling of my anus mean I have herpes?

I had unprotected sex a little over a month ago with someone that most likely has herpes. I have had no symptoms until recently I began to notice swelling and reddening around my anus. It also itches with a small red bump next to it. I haven't had any symptoms in my vaginal area but I am completely freaking out. I need to know If i should be concerned that I have herpes.

Answer:

The symptoms of genital herpes vary from person to person. Most people with genital herpes do not have any symptoms. When present, the initial symptoms include pain or itching, beginning within a few weeks after exposure. Following this, there is formation of small red bumps or tiny white blister which then rupture, ooze or bleed. Eventually, scabs form and the ulcers heal. If you suspect you have genital herpes, I would definitely recommend seeing your doctor.  Though there is no cure for genital herpes, your doctor may prescribe antiviral medication to help sores heal sooner and to lessen the severity and dration of the disease.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA