Does Lifting Weights Prevent A Teenager From Growing Any Taller?

Q: Hey, My name is Shiba, I'm 18 years old and I am a male. I am fairly short for my age (i'm around 5 foot 5), a good bit overweight and I think I am a small-boned male.

I was considering joining the gym to do weights and gain muscle for my body as I am slightly overweight and to burn off the fat aswell. But I have heard that doing this will prevent me from growing any taller and I still hope that I will grow taller as my body still might be growing.

Can you tell me if this is true and tell me the best way of losing weight and gaining muscle for my age while still allowing my body to grow during my adolescent years?

Thank You