Does my child need vitamin D?

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor My daughter is 12 months. Our physician gave a tablet high-dose vitamin D for her. And she told me that you don't need to give any more vitamin D supplement next 6 months. I don't understand, how this tablet will react. Isn't it over dosage for baby's metabolism? Please explain me. Thank you.

Doctor

A:   Vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium. A single dosage of vitamin D (600,000 IU) will increase the resource of of the vitamin in the body and prevent the development of rickets in children.