Does nitrofurantoin affect kidney function

Q: Can Nitrofurantoin slow down kidney function and make urinating more difficult?

Symptoms:  Painful and burning while trying to urinate

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

You have pain and burning while trying to urinate and want to know whether Nitrofurantoin can slow down kidney functions and make urinating more difficult.
Nitrofurantoin is not known to cause damage to the kidneys as such, but anything can happen anytime.
That way this is a safe medicine for kidneys. The rule is t reduced the dose if the patient has deranged kidney functions.
I would advise you the following if you have UTI:
Send a sample of urine for microscopy, culture and sensitivity before start of the antibiotic preferably.
Take plenty of oral fluids to flush the urinary system of the bacteria.
Take appropriate medicines as advised by your treating Doctor and insist on completing the courses.
Further tests of Ultrasonography, Intra-venous Pyelography and CT scan if needed or advised by your Urologist.

I hope this answers your query and helps you for proper diagnosis and management.