Does Nuva Ring still work with antibiotics?

Patient

Q: I use Nuva Ring does it also not work when someone is taking antibiotics? I have gotten the impression from other sites that only the pill is affected by antibiotics.

Doctor

A:   It is true that the efficacy ( ie the effectiveness ) of the OCP's does reduce when taken concomittantly with antibiotics . However the nuva ring is applied locally and thus the hormones are released locally and there is little or no metabolism it goes through as it does not enter the systemic circulation and thus there is little effect on the efficacy when taken with antibiotics. However it is still adviced to use back up protection during that time period. I hope this helps.