Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Does Ovarian Cyst removal casue early Menopause?

Does Ovarian Cyst removal casue early Menopause?

Patient: Can I have 1 ovary and my uterus taken out and not be put into early menopause?I am getting my left Ovary taken out due to a growing cyst and want to know what will happen if i have them take my uterus as well

Doctor: The removal of one ovary and the uterus will not result in premature menopause. The uterus does not have any effect on t he development of menopause. The remaining ovary will produce enough hormones (estrogen and progesterone) to prevent the symptoms that are associated with menopause. Of course, without a uterus, you will no longer have any menstrual flow.