September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Does Prehypertension cause Erectile dysfunction?

Does Prehypertension cause Erectile dysfunction?

Patient: Hello, i am a 20 year old male.recently my bp has risen to a range of 139,94 and around 141,93.i believe this is a case of prehypertension.i am not really that overweight,but i am abit plum and my waistline has increased quite gradually.it has been around 6 months since i had any excercise and i was eating junk food almost thrice a week.i also noticed that i have weaker erections nowadays compared to last time where they were rock hard.my concern is whether prehypertension can have an effect on erections.please help me.thanks in advance.

Doctor: Slightly elevated blood pressure is known as prehypertension. A systolic pressure from 120 to 139 millimeters of mercury y (mm Hg) or a diastolic pressure from 80 to 89 mm Hg signifies prehypertension.Prehypertension will likely turn into high blood pressure in the long run if adequate precautions are not taken such as exercising and eating healthier. Both prehypertension and high blood pressure increase your risk of heart attack, stroke and heart failure. Prehypertension and obesity, both can cause erectile dysfunction. The key to treatment of prehypertension and obesity is to eat health foods, maintain a health weight, use less salt, increase physical activity and limit alcohol intake.