Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Does smoking Marijuana lower the effectiveness of a Copper

Does smoking Marijuana lower the effectiveness of a Copper

Patient: Does smoking Marijuana lower the effectiveness of a Copper IUD ?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query,Marijuana smoking cannot affect the effectiveness of copper-t simply because the mech anism of action of copper t is more mechanical and it produces changes in the endometrium to disallow an implantation to occur, also it increases the tubal motility thereby allowing early passage of ovum through it and not allowing it to be fertilised at the ampullary region of the tube. These actions are non-hormonal and hence not affected by marijuana at all.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards