Does smoking marijuana rolled in tobacco paper cause cancer?

Patient

Q: Does smoking marijuana rolled in tobacco paper cause cancer?

Symptoms:  Nasal congestion, breathing problems sometimes and being tired however I am allergic to my cat so I'm not sure if those are allergic reactions from the cat or side affects from smoking.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It is possible that contaminants in the cigarette paper can cause cancer once it is burnt. Usually, marijuana by itself does not cause cancer or it is not clear if marijuana causes cancer. Long term studies have not been done to show if this is true or not.

I recommend that to be on the safe side, you do not smoke marijuana. It is much better to invest in good health and to avoid the other side effects of marijuana.

Hope this helps you. All the best.