Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Does Stamaril increase the chance of a down syndrome baby?

Does Stamaril increase the chance of a down syndrome baby?

Patient: I have taken a vaccine for Yellow Fever. The shot is called Stamaril. Prior to taking this vaccine, the pharmacist instructed that i should not try to have a baby with my wife (who did not take the vaccine) for at least 3 months as the risk of having a baby with down syndrome is dramatically increased with this vaccine. Please let me know if this is true.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. The Stamaril vaccine for yellow fever is does not have a clinically proven correlation for causing down syndrome in the offspring of parents who have been given the vaccine. Down Syndrome is referred to as Trisomy 21 an occurs by a genetic mutation. The main relationship between increased risk for down syndrome is advanced maternal age.Please be guided accordingly, AskTheDoctor.com