Dogbite slow to heal

Patient

Q: How long should it take for a 3-inch long gash from a dogbite heal? I have stiff tissue surrounding wound which still has an inch-long gash with soft scab and occasional drainage and it is still painful.I have seen ER doctors 3 times over the last 10 weeks but I must be certain it is going to be OK because I have to sign off on the dogowner's insurance to receive payment on medical bills.Should I go back to ER?

Doctor

A:   An injury of that nature should not take more than a couple weeks to heal completely. This delayed healing is probably the result of an infection in the wound. For the wound to heal, the infection must be adequately treated with the appropriate antibiotics. Therefore, you will have to see a physician to confirm the presence if an infection and to prescribe the necessary medication.