Dominique

Patient

Q: If you had unprotected sex and missed your birth control pill then take it after! Can you become pregnant?

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is important to follow the prescribed schedule that you particular oral contraceptive requires. The reason for this is that the therapeutic level of medication decreases ever 24 hours, and as a result, you may ovulate. We cannot be certain as to whether in between the time you forgot to take your birth control to the time you had unprotected sex you ovulated. It is therefore important to be prepared for the possibility that impregnation may have occurred. We recommend that you consult your physician if you would like to conduct pregnancy testing to be certain. We also recommend that you continue to take your contraceptive medication as prescribed to prevent pregnancy in the future.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com