Donating Blood Plasma and taking SSRI

Patient

Q: Does donating blood plasma have an affect on the effectiveness of prozac?

Symptoms:  Depression
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that donating plasma will have minimal affect efficacy of your prozac, but this will be very transient. However you should inform the blood donation personnel that you are on this medication prior to your donation. Certain organizations and clinics have regulations on accepting blood from persons while on certain medications.Thank you for considering donating plasma.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Patient: I was under the impression that prozac is protein binding so it would attach to some of the proteins in plasma, is this accurate or not?