Dont understand my diabetes diagnoses from two different docs

Q: My previous doc diagnosed me with type 1 diabetes at age 37 in the emergency room because of blured vision an frequent now 39. since then i have changed doc and they done hem A1c with other test and diagnosed me as type 2 diabetic. asked me why i wasnt on metforman. by the way i take 30 units twice a day of lantus and 12 units 3 times a day of novalog. I told him that was what my old doc put me on and said i would need a pump later on. then he said well im just going to keep you on the insulin then. why would he rediagnose me as type 2 and then keep me on the same insulin. i would rather take a pill once or twice a day then i would like to stick myself with a needle 5 times a day.if i dont need to take insalin will it hurt me to take it instead of a pill.