Dose of Radiation Harmful In Pregnancy

Patient

Q: Is it safe to go through air port scanning machines during first trimester?

Doctor

A:   Fetuses in the first trimester are most sensitive to radiation. It is believed that within 2 weeks after conception, a dose of 100 mGy can cause fetal death. Effect of radiation exposure in the first trimester is an all or nothing phenomenon: the fetus will either survive with no anomalies or die. The radiation dose of airport scanners is 0.1 mGy. The cutoff radiation dose in pregnancy is 5000mGy. There have been no studies on its effect on fetuses but it is believed to be negligible. I do hope I have answered your question. Take care always.