Dr. told me a person would not die from windshield wiper fluid.

Patient

Q: Is windshield wiper fluid poisonous? If it is how soon does a person need to get treatment after drinking it?

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.
Yes, windshield wiper fluid is very toxic. It contains an alcohol called methanol (wood alcohol) which is poisonous and can lead to blindness. If ingested, immediate medical attention is required. The best thing you should do is to go to the nearest emergency department for immediate treatment. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Related Q&A

Q: I lost my medication en route to a remote island in the Bahamas. I am gone for one week. I was on 10 mg of Paxil. I...

Q: I forgot to bring my prescription medication- an antidepressant on my trip to the Bahamas. The drug is an SSRI calle...

Q: I started taking fluoxetine yesterday, I took 40ng yesterday and 20 today but forgot to check about things like Niqui...

Q: Hi, I am really struggling, I feel like I have become completely alone, because a new psychiatrist I saw has diagnose...

Q: Hi, I recently had more depression and went into insomnia, i consulted a doctor and he adviced me for a blood test. ...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews