Drastic Sugar Drop in a Recently Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic

Q: Hello, my father was diagnosed with type 2 diabeties just a few days ago and he checked his sugar about 2.5 hours ago and it was 151 and now he checked it again and its 87. He's using insulin for a medication even though he's diagnosed type 2 just until he gets his sugar more under control since it's such a recent diagnoses. Is it normal for his sugar to go down that much that quick?

Symptoms:  When he was diagnosed his sugar was 700! He spent 3 days at the hospital trying to lower it and now that hes out hes checked it multiple times per day and each time its been a few points lower but its never jumped down that much that quickly. He says he feels fine and he has been eating regular, healthy meals but I just wanted to make sure that a drastic sugar drop like that is normal.