Drinking before I knew I was pregnant

Patient: I found out I was pregnant after I was 5 weeks along. I had no idea. I am 29 and this will be my second child. I had been drinking–more than usual–before I found out (it was my husbands 30th, we bought a new house, we had a couple other major events). I drank quite a bit each time. I am now terrified for my baby. Will he or she be okay?

Doctor: I understand how concerned you are about your baby’s health. It is difficult to predict what amount of alcohol will harm rm your baby. If you drink during pregnancy there is certainly a risk for the baby to develop fetal alcohol syndrome. Binge drinking is especially bad for the developing baby.Your baby may have a range of disabilities ranging from physical, mental to social and mental disorders. Children with fetal alcohol syndrome may be small and may have learning or behavior problems.I would suggest that you see your doctor and comply with pre-natal measures to evaluate your baby’ health. It is recommended that you take pre-natal vitamins, especially folic acid which is required for the development of the nervous system of the baby.