Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Drinking during pregnancy

Drinking during pregnancy

Patient: I am 22weeks pregnant and drunk 3-4 glasses of wine last night and now im feeling really bad and scared that i have harmed my unborn child. i havent drunk at all in my pregnancy just that once. please can u advise me if i need to do something or if i have harmed my bay thankyou

Doctor: Alcohol addiction during pregnancy is dangerous, as it is associated with fetal anomalies or retarded growth. But this i s usually seen if mother consume alcohol regularly during early pregnancy. Drinking during late pregnancies are usually less harmful other than retardation of fetus growth. Since it was only consumed for once, it is mostly not harmful. Don’t worry, but do not consume alcohol again. Followup with your obstetrician for regular checkup and healthy pregnancy.