Drinking night before blood test and elevated liver enzymes

Patient

Q: I received results from a blood test that show I have a higher than normal level of liver enzymes in my blood. I am a 21 year old male and have no other symptoms and am otherwise healthy. I do not take any medication and I don't drink excessively. However, I might have had something to drink the night before the blood test (approximately 7-8 hours before). Could this have affected the results? I expressed some concern to the doctor, so he did a physical examination (felt my liver on either side), but couldn't feel anything. He said that he isn't worried yet. I am going in for a retest in a few weeks. How concerned should I be?

Doctor

A:   Yes, drinking (I consider it to be alcohol) the night before your blood test could be a possibility of increase in liver enzymes. Your liver enzymes may settle down slowly within a few days, and you may want to make sure to abstain from drinking, atleast a week before your scheduled blood test.

Yes, drinking (I consider it to be alcohol) the night before your blood test could be a possibility of increase in liver enzymes. Your liver enzymes may settle down slowly within a few days, and you may want to make sure to abstain from drinking, atleast a week before your scheduled blood test.