Dropped one pill, am I still protected?

Patient

Q:  
I'm taking Tri-nessa (the Generic for Ortho Tri-cylcen lo) and during the first week of the pills, I dropped one down the sink. I continued to take them as normal. But took the one for the next day that night. At the end of the month and the beginning of the next one, will I still be protected against pregnancy? And how long would it be until I'm protected again?

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about contraceptives, certainly if you missed an active pill, a minor risk of pregnancy might be present, however since you continue to take them and did not miss a day this could be diminished.
You might also want to consider using a backup method to make sure you are protected against pregnancy, continue to take your pills regularly.