Drug interactions in premature infant

Patient

Q: Ok this might be a tough one. My grandson was born 5 months ago, he was 9.5 weeks early and born with a diaphramatic hernia and two holes in his heart. had the diaphram surgery and has one healthy lung and one premature lung. He was having a hard time breathing and taking a bottle at age of 4 months so they did the heart surgery. they have also recently did a trach. He is on a ton of meds and getting worse. I want to know if the meds are causing the worsening health. He is now critical with what they think might be CHF and high blood presure in his lungs. They have him on fentanyl, methodone, versad, lasix, viagra and two antibiotics. I think it is the drug interactions that are making things worse. I just dont know what to do or who to talk too

Doctor

A:   A premature baby, or preemie, is born before the 37th week of pregnancy. Premature birth occurs in between 8 percent to 10 percent of all pregnancies in the United States. Because they are born too early, preemies weigh much less than full-term babies. They may have health problems because their organs did not have enough time to develop. Preemies need special medical care in a neonatal intensive care unit, or NICU.The case of your grandson is very complicated because he is not just a preemie but he had several very grave conditions associated that require a specialized management and it is very difficult to jump into conclusions having just your description without knowing the case in depth.