Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Drug screen for hydrocodone

Drug screen for hydrocodone

Patient: Im a nursing student and we had our drug screen mon I took a lortab sun morning I put down an old prescription (2 yrs) and dont have the bottle. Will they be checking this? I am not a user and if they test levels they will see that, if that will matter?

Doctor: Lortab contains a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Whether or not the drug screen will detect the presence of the opiate will depend on the type to test done. Standard opiate tests may not be able to detect hydrocodone  because they usually test only for morphine. Hydrocodone does not breakdown into morphine and cannot be tested in the standard manner. There are various home and laboratory tests specifically available for the detection of hydrocodone. Unfortunately I am not in a position to comment whether the detection of hydrocodone will matter or not. I wish you well, take care.