Drug testing of marijuana in newborns

Patient

Q: Do they drug test all Newborn babies now? My girlfriend smokes marijuana, as I just found out, and I'm afraid they will take our child when she is born.

Doctor

A:   As far as I know, routine drug testing of newborns is not a general protocol. I would not know if it is routinely done in your country but it is unlikely; you may ask a paediatrician if you want. If the newborn will fail to thrive or have symptoms of intoxication or the doctor observes physical or bloodwork findings on your girlfriend indicative of marijuana abuse, then there is enough reason to do a drug test, or do important blood tests on the newborn. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.