Drugs for pulmonary edema

Q: Doc., please what are the medications you can prescribe for Pulmonary Edema?

Symptoms:  Coughing, shortness of breath

A:   Thanks for consulting us. Pulmonary edema is a medical emergency and require good medical care from a experienced cardiologist/doctor. Pulmonary is edema is caused by variety of conditions and it could be Cardiogenic and Non-Cardiogenic. Pulmonary edema is due to increased capillary hydrostatic pressure secondary to elevated pulmonary venous pressure. Some of the causes are Acute myocardial infarction (MI) or ischemia, Myocarditis, Chronic valvular disease, aortic stenosis, aortic regurgitation, and mitral regurgitation, Cardiomyopathy, LV dysfunction, Severe anemia, Thyrotoxicosis, etc. Treatment depends on the causative factor. Drugs like Diuretics, Ionotropes, Nitrates, etc., are used in different combinations to treat the condition. So, it is very tricky situation and need expertise to estimate the situation and take a proper decision. In such situations, please consult Cardiologist or Critical care specialist with cardiology experience for proper management. Have a good day.