Drunk Sleepwalking

Patient

Q: Hello, When I get drunk I tend to sleepwalk and pee in random places, thats even if I drink a lot or barely get a buzz. I heard that low sugar might be a problem but I am not sure please help me.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. To date the exact cause for sleep walking is unknown. It is believed that one of the causes of sleep walking could be due to excessive alcohol consumption. We are uncertain of the exact mechanism by which this occur. One hypothesis is that it is possible that this occurs due to alcohols effect on a persons sleep wake cycle. If this is causing you distress or is becoming more frequent after you consume alcohol, we recommend that you refrain from drinking and follow up with your doctor to assist you in developing a plan for treating your sleep walking.

Thank you for Consulting AskTheDoctor.com