Dry lips after tretiva treatment

Patient

Q: I have used Tretiva-25 for around 5-6 months around 3 years back and my lips remain dry since then. What should be done now to improve the condition?

Symptoms:  Dry lips
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Tretiva (Isotretinoin) is a medication that is used to treat severe acne. It can lead to skin damage if used for prolonged periods of time and it is possible that your dry lips are due to the use of this medication. It would be best to have your lips examined by a dermatologist to determine if you will benefit form the use of an antiinflammatory corticosteroid cream to apply to your lips to reduce the dryness. In the meantime, you can treat your lips with over the counter moisturizing lip balms to keep them from becoming excessively dry. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com