Dupuytren's Contracture: overview, causes and treatment options

Patient : What is Dupuytren's Disease and what treatment exists?
Doctor :    Dupuytren’s contracture is a hand deformity that usually develops slowly, over decades and affects the tissue under the the skin of your palm, forming knots and later on a thick cord that can pull one or more of your fingers into a bent position. The cause is unknown, but maybe associated with autoimmune reactions. Some factors as diabetes and tobacco and alcohol use may increase the risk of the disease. Treatment involves removing or breaking apart the cords that are pulling your fingers in toward your palm. This can be done in several different ways. The choice of procedure depends on the severity of your symptoms and any other health problems you may have; Needling (to puncture and "break" the cord of tissue that's contracting a finger), Enzyme injections (collagenase clostridium histolyticum (Xiaflex), and finally surgery for the severe cases, after which you will require months of physical therapy.