During my period I passed what looked like small pieces

Patient

Q: During my period I passed what looked like small pieces of fleshy tissue. Since my period, about two weeks, I have been having light brown discharge. Could these be connected and what could this be? I am sexually active and I take the pill regularly and my partner doesn't ejaculate in me.

Doctor

A:   Hi,

During menstruation endometrial tissue sheds along with blood.
So, the pieces of fleshy tissue you noticed could be endometrial tissue.
Intermenstrual spotting, brown discharge etc can be seen as side effects of birth control pills.
As you are using the pills regularly, the possibility of pregnancy is less.
If you want to rule out the possibility of pregnancy, please go for urine pregnancy test once.
If test gives negative result and you continue to have brown discharge, consult your doctor and take additional dose of hormones or antifibrinolytic drugs to control the bleeding.

Take care.