E Coli Kidney Infection

Patient : Is it possible to get an E Coli infection in your kidney as a direct result of having a D&C after a miscarriage?
Doctor :   I understand your worry about possible E. Coli kidney infection. Surely it won’t be the most common way to get a kidney y infection but it might be possible to favor the introduction of E. Coli through Dilation and Curettage through your urethra. This bacteria lives in the digestive tract, in the vagina, or around the urethra. In most cases, this bacteria enter the urethra and travel to the bladder and kidneys. However, your body will usually remove the bacteria and you will not have symptoms. Pyelonephritis or kidney infection is a serious condition and would need antibiotics to treat it, I suggest you to consult your physician and comply with your treatment.