Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ear damage while blowing the nose.

Ear damage while blowing the nose.

Patient: Hi, my name’s Daniel and I’ve had a cold now for the past week, and I’ve been constantly blowing my nose. At one point while I was blowing my nose, I actually heard a screeching or crackle sound in my left ear. It’s happened a couple times sense then, and I was wondering, could I have cause ear damage?

Doctor: The middle of the ear is connected with the back of the throat by a tube-like structure known as Eustachian tube. This s tructure helps to relieve the pressure of the inner ear. When you have cold, this gets blocked by mucus and you may feel a certain amount of ear discomfort. What you may have experienced by blowing the nose, is this tube opening up. There will be no ear damage.